Friday, March 19, 2010

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

I love a good Nicholas Sparks book. Its been a while since I read a really good one from him. And, I usually have to plan it out when I read one of his books though, because I always cry in his books. I wanted to read The Last Song right when I saw it, because I saw that it was going to be a movie and I wanted to read the book before I saw movie trailers and figured out what the book was about. I did know Miley Cyrus was going to play the main character in the movie, so I kept thinking of her as the main character. But, I like her and it didn't get in the way of the story.
I loved this coming of age book. The main character is almost 18 year old Ronnie. Ronnie is such a relatable character to me on many levels and the whole first love/coming of age story is something that we have all experienced. Veronica "Ronnie" Miller won't be eighteen until the end of the summer, so she has to follow her mom's rules and is off with her younger brother, Jonah, to spend the summer with her dad in a North Carolina beach town. Ronnie hasn't talked to her dad in over three years. He left New York City and their family and moved back to his hometown. Ronnie is rebellious and having been arrested for shoplifting back home, a quiet summer in North Carolina might be the best thing for her. At least that's what her mother thinks. As the summer unfolds, Ronnie falls in love with a local boy, Will. She discovers the wonders of Loggerhead turtles. And she learns to trust her father all over again. As the summer comes to a close, more than one tragedy occurs, and Ronnie must face some hard truths in her life
I fell in love with the characters, cried when they cried (of course), got mad when they did stupid things, and was rooting for Ronnie the entire time. Throughout the novel, you see Ronnie’s complete transformation and realization as to who she is as defined by herself and not by those she surrounds herself with. So often we tend to adapt to those around us and do our best to fit it at any cost (emotionally, physically, etc.) and for the past few years that is what Ronnie has done. It is not until she is forced to come see her dad that she finds out who she is and what is truly important in life.
I think this book is good for all ages. I really enjoyed it. And, of course, I cried some too!

No comments:

Post a Comment